A little background on the situation. I developed a rash (gross, I know...) around my eyes in February. It came and went, but never fully healed. I was convinced that it was a result of the high histamine diet I was eating: bacon, bone broth, avocados, fish, chicken with the skin, kombucha, sauerkraut, chocolate, curry powder, and citrus fruits. Check out Chris Kresser's article about histamine intolerance. Determined to cure my rash by eliminating the above foods, I suffered through my days without bacon and chocolate and still awoke to swollen eyes. I decided to ditch the misery that life is without my favorite foods and explore other options.
After twenty-seven trips to Whole Foods, six acupuncture sessions, two trips to the ophthalmologist, and one trip to the dermatologist, I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment to see an allergist.
Seventy-five needles later, I learn that I'm highly allergic to grass, weeds, trees, and mold. I was sent into the world that is pollen, holding my breath and squinting my eyes as I run to my car. I couldn't continue to act like a lunatic every time I encountered nature (I was informed that it would be best to minimize going outside between the months of February and November...what?!?!)
Enter trip #28 to Whole Foods. I knew what I had to do and should have done right from the beginning. Honey. That sweet, sweet nectar. "Why didn't she try this earlier you ask?" Honest answer. Fear.
Despite all the health benefits of raw honey, it still doesn't change the fact that it's sugar. I focus so much of my time and planning into eating a low sugar diet that the thought of eating honey by the spoonful seemed to go against everything I stand (stood) for. Let me tell you...a nice rash on the face for a few months and you'll try just about anything once. Vanity's a bitch....until you take that first lick of honey and you completely forget about the rash of 4 months along with the 29 grams of sugar that just melted on your tongue. It was so good that I decided to add it to my morning drink. I alternate green tea and decaf coffee depending on my mood. This morning I choose to go with the depth of the coffee flavor to make the best latte ever experienced...at least in my house.
In a blender combine the following:
1-2 T grass fed, unsalted butter
1 T raw local honey
6-8 oz hot liquid of choice (coffee or tea)
Blend until frothy
I thought the addition of honey to my diet was something sweet to add for my Juniper month where the focus is balance, love, and health. Who knows...maybe the rigidity of my diet was only making mr. rash worse. Sometimes all you need is a touch of sweetness to start your day. What sweet things are you doing for yourself this month? (And no, it doesn't have to contain sugar grams...)



No comments:
Post a Comment