Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Rootine

There's nothing more grounding to me than starting off my day with a morning routine that focuses on self care and centering.  My best days have the longest mornings, and I truly believe it's a direct correlation to the time I take for myself in the morning.

Photo courtesy of http://www.primalpalate.com
After 28 years of ever changing morning rituals, I've landed on a routine that works for me right now.  As my life changes, I'm sure this will, too.  But for now, this is generally what it looks like:

5:30  Wake up.

5:45  Make a pot of Bulletproof coffee (more on that later...).

6:00  Make lunch for me and hubby.

6:15  Sit with coffee.

6:45  Check email, schedule, lists, instagram.

7:15  Stretch, foam roll, read, write.

7:30  Make bed, dry brush, shower.

8:15  Pack up for the day, kitchen clean up, supplements.


Of course this changes slightly depending on the day, but I'm very fortunate to be able to keep a pretty consistent schedule.  I typically wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off and relish in the the comfort of the covers for a few peaceful minutes.

While I love the "perks" of coffee, it's more than the caffeine that brings order to my morning.  The ritual of measuring, grinding, and brewing is all very soothing.  Not to mention the delicious aroma that snaps me right back to my childhood with my parents drinking their early morning cup of joe.

I crave my morning time in the kitchen when the sun is starting to rise and my mind is not yet jumbled from the day.  This time allows me to take time in preparing our food for the day with love and gratitude, and truly connecting to it's nourishment.

Josh gets home from the gym a little after 6:00 when we have our coffee together.  I'll typically start moving around after about 30 minutes to do something creative on the computer, stretch, or occasionally watch the news.

What do you see when you open your computer?

Then it's back upstairs to beautify for the day.  I really, really try to make the bed before I leave the house...picked up that trick from The Happiness Project.

Right before I hop in the shower I do a quick dry brush.  It's super easy and makes such a big difference in your skin!  My favorite brush is from Whole Foods for $9.99. Quite a steal considering it's known to help:

  • Remove cellulite
  • Cleanse the lymphatic system
  • Remove dead skin layers
  • Strengthen the immune system
  • Stimulate the hormone and oil-producing glands
  • Tightens the skin, preventing premature aging
  • Tone the muscles
  • Stimulate circulation
  • Improve the function of the nervous system
  • Help digestion
Believe me, not every morning goes down according to plan.  But more times than not, I leave the house feeling grounded and centered.  Notice what gives you balance, energy, and peace of mind and maybe sprinkle a few of those in your morning routine.  No rules or stopwatches...let it arise organically, then make an effort to carve out a little time in the morning to let it be.

What's your morning routing look like?



No comments:

Post a Comment